Friday, April 2, 2010

Of Delights, Disappointments and HOPE

I brought my 5 NPCC cadets to the National Field Cooking Competition and we got 3rd out of 12 schools. The process was grilling when I watched them cook and sweat..When I saw them make mistakes, I was so anxious that I kept showing my disagreements.. Now, thinking back, I should have placed more trust in them since I picked my leader and asked her to take charge. Even if they lost, they would have learned something.. It is the process of learning that matters. Happy for them.. They have done our unit proud.

But there were 2 others who have disappointed me.. I placed high hopes in them for a National competition and thought that they would come up with something fantastic, but in the end, the higher your hopes, the greater you fall. So I learnt a lesson too. Never place your hopes too high nor your trust in someone too much, because in the end, you may be the one getting hurt.. Though capable, the 2 of my cadets whom I placed high hopes and expectations in, were simply taking the matter lightly. Initiative, something that I am looking for in my cadets.. But how many of them actually possesses it?

Then my Sec 5s, I am happy to see some of them waking up to the call and attending remedials and night classes.. When I look at them, I realize that though they are 16 or 17, but the gentlemen simply behave like small kids.. One even "forced" me to give him a sweet because he completed his work..When will they grow up? When will they realize that they have already spent one more year than the rest of the people of their age and that life is actually quite short? How can I make those who are still lost in their own world to wake up and realize that they are already at their last year of their studies and no one can help them if they do not wake up and help themselves.. HOW CAN I HELP THEM?? Still trying my best..

Now it is important to still have hopes because that is what keep us going.. that is what keeps my job going. If you lose hope, you lose the battle.. So I can only hope for them and for myself.. I just hope that they can all pass and for those who hope to achieve the results that they are aiming for, I hope that they can do it.. Jiayou..

No comments: