Thursday, October 6, 2011

It has been a really long time...

It has been almost 1 and 1/2 years since I last posted something on this blog. I have nearly forgotten that I still have this blog since my last post. Thanks to Candy who told me that I have not posted anything for some time. Many things have taken place and I have changed quite a bit. When I read what I have posted, I ask myself where is this 'fire' in me?

Well, 2011 is still quite a smooth sailing year for me, I teach 4 classes and almost all have graduated except for my 3 higher chinese class. They will have their End of Year exams in a few hours time and their 1st O level paper in less than a month's time. So, is it time to move on? I realized that it is difficult to move away now that I have built a bond with students from my CCA and also my Higher Chinese class but it all boils down to fate if I can move to another more personal platform where I could prove my worth. To me, a thank you from students are the best gift I can get..However at times, a nonsensical complaint can bog you down. Given my character, maybe I am not suited to be in this line. I only do what I think is right and worth doing.

I have made many friends with my students, really cool people, like Shaowei, Caleb, Hong Rong, Seri, Raidah, Gui Xiang.. To mention a few and many many more..Some, whom I believe will remain as lifelong friends. The education system has a weird way of restricting teachers befriending students hence I would still want to maintain my "professional" self while still maintaining a true friendship with them.

A piece of good news though, which happened after the 2011 General Election, which saw a shake up in the Cabinet. Seems like Mr Heng, our Education Minister has realized what many others failed to realize, the vision that character education is much more important than academia. I do not know what belies in the future for the next few months. I have personal dreams and also personal goals which I hope to achieve. In order to pursue one, I have to give up the other one. Both can't go together. In order to pursue my dream of travelling and widening my perspective, I have to give up my goal of educating the next generation and pass down my knowledge to shape characters.

I dare not say that I have done much to my students, especially those who have gone to Cambodia with me but I do see a change. " A change at a time" The slogan on my T-shirt of one of my expeditions and this is what I see in them. I am especially happy for Seri for the transformations that she has proven herself to be. Really proud of her. From being one of the last few in the stream and a student who had a 'poor' grade when she was in Sec 2; she is now an "excellent" student in teacher's eyes and topping the class in her prelims. My best Station Inspector in NPCC and she has been with me to Cambodia twice and seen more of the world there. Really great memories there.

As I sit down thinking back of my past few months, I feel that as a person, I have lost out a lot of precious time to think about what I really want in life. I have been focusing on things of what others expect of me which has made me lose myself and directions. I got into a minor accident in Cambodia on the last project and it has made me lose a certain part of me. Time to adjust back.

Time to make a decision. Time to make a stand. X-men: the last stand. haha

No comments: