Thursday, May 15, 2008

心痛! 中国人不会那么容易倒下。。

I am feeling very heavy now, not physically, but deep down in my heart. My last post was dated 11 may 08, now on this day 15th May 08, as I regained consciousness of what is happening around me, I realized that I am a lucky man. After the Pulau Ubin camp with my Project Angel X members, I revolved around feeling tired and burdened by personal unhappiness, with the news of the China earthquake ringing around my ears, cos my dad was watching the Chinese news yesterday.

On 12th of May,I was still at the chalet in Aloha Changi.. Yet there, 5 hours flight away from me, people are dying, people are howling in pain, people are...... using their bodies to save each other. Yes, these are the noble people. I just read in the papers today about 2 parents cowering over their child to protect her from the falling wall. The parents were dead in the rubble, though the child was rescued.

A teacher blocked his students from a falling ceiling, and his head was crushed in, but his 4 students survived. A 65 year old man, used all his strength to carry his disabled wife from 3rd level, to 7th level. Thousands of students died in the secondary schools, and primary schools in Si Chuan, and people lose their families and friends.

Tears welled up my eyes when I read these news, and I really felt that I could do nothing when I see and read these news. My heart ached and it will continue tonight only until I fall asleep. I am glad that I am staying in this small yet safe country. I am glad that my students are still safe in their homes, enjoying TV and playing computers. I am glad that I do not have to go through the ordeal of separation from my parents. I am a free thinker, so I thank whoever brought me where I am.

Yet, I feel sad when I see people not learning to appreciate what is around them, I feel sad when people quarrel over small things and abandon their loved ones. I feel sad when I am able-bodied yet I cannot stretch out my hands to save a life. Here, I can only thank the Chinese government for being able to save as many lives as they could, thank Premier (Prime Minister) Wen Jia Bao, who stepped out just 90 minutes after the quake, and went straight into the rubble to calm everyone down, and direct the whole rescue operation. Yes, China is filled with love, let us all pray for the 2 countries.

In the month of may, more than 200,000 innocent lives have perished under the hands of natural disaster. Who do we blame? The incumbent government of Myanmar or the cruelty of the natural disasters? Why do people perish like this in Myanmar? Because they are still living in poverty and do not have the power to save themselves. They do not have the power to stay in better houses, do not have the ability to feed themselves, and do not have the power to overthrow their corrupted government. Can you imagine now, what might happen if those in power chose to ignore the life and death of its people?

In China, it was a totally different scenario. Thousands of people rushed over with aid from over the world, and China welcomed them with warmth. The Chinese work day and night to save their people from the rubble, and of course, the most touching scenes would be people sacrificing themselves to save others. Other than wishing them good luck, I do not think I can contribute much other than some money. Below is a link that lets you donate to redcross, who will bring over our donated amounts over to both people of China and Myanmar. Maybe we could do something.. maybe..

Students, do get your parents to make a gift in this difficult time..And lastly, appreciate all your loved ones, and learn to love yourself too.. I will be away in Cambodia from Tuesday 20th May to 10th June. I will try to keep a diary if I can manage, and will post if I have time. Meanwhile, I hope all of you (1F, 1D, 2B), pls continue writing and updating your blogs, and when I say I miss you guys, I mean it.. See you all in a month time.

http://www.redcross.org.sg/chinaearthquake_src_donate.htm

Ivan

No comments: