Thursday, May 1, 2008

Mixed Feelings on Labour Day

On this day, where most people take a break, and go on holiday, why are there still many people working? Is this unfair? Why do I say so? Hawkers, restaurants, shopping mall retail shops, and Teachers do not have time to take a break. Papers to mark, lesson plans to write, administrative work to take note of, the only difference is, you work at the comfort of your home, with your radio blasting at your ear, and trying to take more breaks in between.

As I speak, I keep thinking about what my students are doing. Some of them are doing their homework, some of them are studying for their common tests, some are out enjoying the day with their parents, some are out with their friends and some would be online playing games, chatting with friends or watching TV? Which one of these do you belong to? Why do we have public holidays? So that we can relax, or so that we can work more (like the hawkers, restaurants etc). Some of my students keep complaining that they are very "Sian", and well, this is what most Singaporeans complain about, including me. When you have something to do, you feel "Sian", if you have nothing to do, you also feel "Sian". The only difference would be that when you have nothing to do, it is only because that you know you should be doing something, like studying, but subconsciously, you do not want to do it, so you feel very "sian".


Well that aside, I should need to address another issue. Some of my students, actually 2 lar, asked me to use these 2 techniques, so that students will hand up work. 1st, Be fierce, and stand resolute, just like some teachers, so that students would not dare to delay your work. 2nd, threaten them with detention, and carry out the practice, so that they will not dare to be playful and not hand in your work.

My next question is: Why do you need teachers to threaten, to scold, and to be fierce so that you will only obey? Are you a cow who needs the farmer to whip before it will move forward a step?

Do you really want to see me angry and scold you? It is bad for my health, and bad for your ears, and heart. And NPCC members should have seen me flare up before. You really will not want to experience this 'dark' side of me. And do you guys really want detention? I find it a waste of time, and it is really for students who are poorly disciplined. But if you do not obey the teacher and hand up your work, is it because you are poorly disciplined too? Think again.

I only know one thing, that is to be myself, and those who really know me, I can be really nice to people, but you have to be cooperative 1st, if not, I would only be condoning your acts. Because of my dad, who is a very very authoritative and strict person, I hate it when he scolds me, because it can go on for hours. So I have told myself that I will not do that to others unless forced to. "Do what others unto to you." 己所不欲,勿施于人。

Now, the point about saying all these, is not to hope that I can really transform my students overnight. For all you know, it may not even get to any of my students! I only hope to pass down one message before I ..... The message is :"Think about others before yourself."

If there are no "accidents", I will be leaving this school after next friday, and it is not because I do not want to come back. The main reason is because, the school have no needs for me at the moment. And it will be difficult to apply back to the school. Though I have requested to return back, but I think the chances are slim. I have enjoyed myself throughout my 2.5 months in this school, and have made many friends, seen many students worked harder, and seen students giving up their studies. I am glad to be given a chance to have come here, cos I know in my heart, this will be one school that I can identify with, cos of its character building programmes for the students. But I think it is ok. 所谓:此地不留人,自有留人处。

I only hope that I can continue to keep in contact with these students, and hopefully they can improve under another teacher, and finally grow and become better people in the future. Thank you students, my CT, Zhang Laoshi, and those who were with me throughout. That's all for the day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

有些时候,我觉得现实很残忍。

为什么有那么多人努力着工作或者是卖命地工作,就为了那一口饭。

为什么?

人生不应该只是为那一口饭罢了。

知道现实的残酷,就更了解珍惜自己拥有的东西的重要。加油吧!

共勉之“珍惜才会拥有”